In a Nutshell
- A good skin care routine is helpful in maintaining a clean, fresh, and young-looking skin.
- Choose your skin care products carefully according to your skin type.
- Use sunscreen and moisturizer in the morning and use a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer before bedtime.
Daily Skin Care for Clearer Skin
The key to a healthy skin care regimen is to know your skin type.
- Oily skin: Appears greasy, shiny, and may have large pores
- Dry skin: Appears flaky, rough, or scaly
- Sensitive Skin: Gets irritated, inflamed, red, itchy or breakout with weather changes or with new cosmetics/ skin care products
- Normal Skin: This is ideal skin type, neither dry, nor oily or sensitive
Simple Basic Skin Care Regimen
- Regardless of your skin type, make sure you apply an appropriate moisturizer after bathing or washing your face.
- Use an oil-based moisturizer if you have dry skin, and water-based moisturizer for oily skin
- 3-4 drops of moisturizer should be enough (or enough moisturizer to apply a thin film on your face)
- Apply moisturizer when your skin is still damp
- Ideally apply a moisturizer in the morning after washing your face and at bedtime.
Use sunscreen when outdoors
- Sunrays and UV radiations can damage your skin and may aggravate the risk of cancers as well as premature sign of aging.
- Use a sunscreen when outdoors (ideally SPF-30)
- Experts recommend 1/3 tsp of sunscreen is sufficient to cover your face and neck with a thin film
Wash your face no more than twice a day
- Excessive washing can make your face dry. It is recommended to rinse your face with water in the morning and wash with a cleanser at night.
- If you are active in sports or sweat a lot, wash your face during the day as well with a gentle cleanser as sweat and excessive oil production may clog your pores.
Take off your make up before bedtime
- Always wipe put makeup before going to bed with a cleanser, cotton pad or makeup remover.
- Get a cleanser that is suitable according to your skin type.
- Avoid vigorous rubbing as it may irritate your skin.
- Gently cleanse your skin with tips of your finger. Wash your face with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Avoid cleansers that contain alcohol, fragrances, or perfumes
- Exfoliate once a week with a gentle exfoliator if you have oily, dry, and normal skin types. Avoid exfoliation if you have sensitive skin.
It is recommended to use the cleanser at bedtime to remove all the dirt, impurities, dead skin, cosmetic remnants, and irritants from skin. Makes sure to apply a moisturizer and toner after cleansing to avoid dryness of skin.
Identify your cosmetic issues and seek help
If you are suffering from an active skin/ cosmetic issue, seek help from a dermatologist. For example, if you have acne, blemishes, pigmentation issues or other ailments, ask your dermatologist if there is a medical treatment.
Carefully choose cosmetics:
- Choose cosmetics according to your skin type.
- If you have oily or sensitive skin, choose cosmetics that are non-comedogenic or water -based
- Make sure to check the expiry date of your cosmetics
- Make sure to clean your cosmetic brushes and applicators at intervals
- Never share your cosmetic or skin care products with others
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Eat a well-balanced diet that is rich in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals
- Drink about 8-10 cups of water per day for a clean and fresh skin
- Sleep at least 8 hours every night to minimize the risk of dark circles
Strength of Evidence: B
The recommendations made in this article are based on best practices as suggested by dermatologists.
Goal of a good skin care regimen is to know what products and skin care protocols are good for your skin. Ideally, in the morning, prepare to protect your skin from harmful sun rays and pollutants by washing your face, applying a moisturizer and sunscreen (SPF30). In the evening, focus on the repair rejuvenation of skin by wiping the make-up, using a cleanser, and following up with a toner/ moisturizer.
Sign up here for reminder texts that can help you stay on top of your treatment plan.